SY Snow White

SY Snow White
In Newry Canal

Friday 8 February 2013

Friday 8th February Boca Chica Dominican Republic



On Monday I decided I should find immigration since I had no entry stamp in my passport, and was told to go to the Coast Guard station, it’s not far just to the point (about 3miles) The commandant called immigration and after about an hour told me to come back at midday. After walking back and returning the immigration officer turned up on a motor bike and took me (after confirming I did not have a stamp) to the commercial docks, about 5miles in the opposite direction, where I finally became a legal alien.
Sunset over Las Salinas

Main Street

Bottle Garden

On Tuesday after a walk around town I returned to the boat when the wind picked up blowing 20-30 gusting 38knots, when the anchor started dragging, I spent about two hours re-anchoring only to be dragged across the bay again, finally it held with 60metres of chain out in 4m of water. I decided to leave on Thursday morning at 8am, so went down to the Coast Guard station on Wednesday afternoon, where the necessary form was filled in, whereupon the commandant closed the ledger and said I must return on Thursday morning at 8am!
Having collected the despacho, stowed the dingy on deck I finally raised the anchor at 9am and left in light airs, mostly there was enough to sail although I did have to tack some, the winds and seas were not nearly as bad as last time, the leg of 72 Nautical miles by direct route took nearly a day and a half tying up in the marina at 2pm having covered just short of 100Nm and using the engine for 10hours
Passing Santa Domingo at daybreak

Small fishing boat near Boca Chica

No comments:

Post a Comment