SY Snow White

SY Snow White
In Newry Canal

Monday 7 November 2011

7th November Porto Santo Madeira


The storms have passed for the time being leaving variable or no wind at all, the engine is running again (touch wood) and the scratches have all been repainted. I am starting to look at moving on from this sleepy little backwater, maybe in the next few days.
The Center of the island

Marina from mountain

Up in the mountains

Marina from the town

Yesterday I took the bicycle off the boat, derusted the chain and took it for a spin, the only other problem being one pedal that kept working loose and even fell off once; my intention being to take a fairly easy run on a track round the mountain in the North East, but having got about a third of the way round the track had been completely washed out just leaving a vertical drop, so I headed back and followed the main road, this turned out to be very scenic but very steep runs up and down valleys, hard work in the sunshine and covered half the island! I came across what seems to be a popular weekend pastime of hunting rabbits with dogs, shotguns going off all over the mountains; but got back before sundown and after a shower retired to the bar where I fell in with the Fin from the boat beside me and another cruising Fin who had arrived here four years ago and stayed on, they drink as hard as the Irish, fortunately the evening was well on before I joined them.
Returning from my walk into town this morning to replenish supplies I found the marina crawling with army, they are on exercises for the next four days, having spent a long time in Northern Ireland seeing all these guys wandering around with guns does not worry me.

No comments:

Post a Comment